Sunday, September 8, 2019

Grieving never means not being strong enough

by Al Sabado

How many times do we hear people tell the bereaved, “Be strong”? Or have we been telling that statement to people who just lost a loved one?

I've heard that many times since few weeks ago, when my dearest father passed away. I know people meant well, but grieving is never about being weak or not being strong. The truth is, strength comes in allowing ourselves to grieve naturally as human beings.

So today, I told one of my siblings, “Let’s take the time to grieve. No rush...”

Grieving means facing the pain of losing a loved one. No explanation required. No skipping the process. No holding back those tears.

After my dearest father passed away less than a month ago, I still cry. I can laugh and smile certain days. But I still cry and I probably will every time I remember him.

I miss my father so much. And I am so grateful to the Lord for him—my close friend, a loving father to us his five children.

Yes, I grieve and I take the time to do so...

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.--(Matthew 5:4)

Let your 'Yes' be 'Yes' and your 'No,' 'No'...