Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Refuse to marry just any believer

by Al Sabado


[I have originally posted this message via Google+, and reposting it here.]

Al Sabado
Shared publicly  -  Sep 14, 2015
At a time I was still attending church I was tasked to handle a Bible study group for adult women. (Oh dear, of all people, why me…) My preparation for the study was crucial, because the occasion was also an evening bridal shower for the group’s lady member—a believer who’s about to marry an unbeliever.

I don’t sugarcoat or mince words when I speak, especially to people I so deeply care about. So you may have guessed the Bible verse that’s vividly etched in my head. That verse was among my first lessons in my walk with God as a young believer in 1991, and I pass it on to every believer crossing similar path of considering to marry an unbeliever. With that burden in my heart, I prayed for the evening. My hands were cold. My heart thumped as I finally read aloud in the room the verse we all could have avoided and ignored, but one the bride-to-be had to hear, probably the last time:

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (2 Corinthians 6:14)

Hearing that verse, however, didn’t change the woman’s decision; she proceeded with her wedding. I regret that’s her choice...

As for you, my dear fellow believer, take your time. I pray you won’t settle for anything less, but God’s best, which can mean not marrying at all. Ready for that? By God’s grace, yes. But if you consider marrying someone, refuse to marry just any believer. Choose the one who, like King David, is after God’s own heart. A strong believer who stands by God’s Word no matter what, someone who’s able to discern that which is Biblical from that which is not. And listen also to what your parents and people closest to you will have to say. Oftentimes, they see issues you may be unaware of.

Disclaimer: I link to the article below as I share the author’s views (except for churchgoing, as many churches of this day lead the flock astray) on the subject matter, but I do not necessarily endorse the author or his church. Magandang araw (Good day)! :)

Let your 'Yes' be 'Yes' and your 'No,' 'No'...